Some people with hepatitis C will clear the virus naturally whilst others will have ongoing infection (chronic hepatitis C). Treatment can be accessed by anyone who has chronic hepatitis C.
Is Hep C Treatment for me? Find out the answers here
Treatment for chronic hepatitis C:
- 12 weeks of daily tablets for most people (no injections)
- 95% chance of cure
- None or mild side effects
Benefits of Cure:
- Improved liver health
- No longer experience Hepatitis C symptoms
- Improved life experience in the knowledge that you have cleared the virus and can no longer pass it on to others
Where can I get treated?
GPs, Hepatitis C Treatment Services, Infectious Diseases Specialists, Hepatologists and Gastroenterologists can all prescribe Hepatitis C treatments. Some Sexual Health Services provide hepatitis C treatment or can provide referral to treatment services.
Preparing for Treatment
If you have chronic hepatitis C and would like treatment, your GP, Specialist or Hepatitis C Nurse will undertake an assessment prior to starting. The assessment includes:
- Blood test to check the type of hep C you have and the amount of virus in your body
- A check for cirrhosis – This could be done by a blood test or a Fibroscan where available. A Fibroscan is a non-invasive test for liver disease due to hepatitis C.
- A review of current medicines you are taking and if you have any previous history of hepatitis C treatment