MERIT gives adult offenders with substance abuse problems a chance to work towards rehabilitation as part of the bail process. MERIT is available in Cooma and Queanbeyan.
How will MERIT help you?
- A structured approach to treatment for offenders with drug issues.
- Opportunities to address drug addiction, while on bail, in a supported, case- managed, harm minimisation framework.
MERIT treatments may include:
• Drug awareness education
• Relapse prevention education
• Detoxification and Rehabilitation facilities
• Other support services such as doctors, mental health, counselling and employment programs
How to connect with MERIT?
Participation in MERIT is voluntary, and anyone who has a pending Magistrates Court matter can ask for an assessment. Referrals can be made by anyone:
• Legal practitioners
• Probation and Parole