The National Quality Standard highlights the importance of individual and collaborative self-assessment and evaluation to drive continuous improvement and advance practice. Use these prompts to reflect on active play practices at your Service as part of your implementation of Munch & Move®. You can download the prompts as a poster for display and use at your Service or join our Munch & Move® mailing list, to receive information about other programs, tips and ideas to support your Service.
- Do we all share the same view on the importance of active play?
- How good are we at encouraging children to be adventurous and to actively explore their environment?
- Do we spend time each day interacting with each of the children and encouraging them to be active?
- How could we organise the day so there are more opportunities for short bursts of active play?
- Could we do more to help families understand the value of daily physical activity?
- Do we make sure children who are normally sedentary have opportunities to be active?
- Do we know individual children well enough to know what level of challenge is appropriate for them?
- Do we always know which children have been active during the day and who has largely been sedentary?
- Could we make more use of music and active storytelling to encourage practice of fundamental movement skills?
- Does the learning environment include interesting and exciting challenges that will help children learn how to manage risk?
- Are we convinced we act as good role models by being active ourselves?
- How cluttered is our environment? Do children have enough open space to move around in?
- How well do we plan experiences that encourage fundamental movement skills practice?
- How do we make sure we provide opportunities for active play on rainy days?
- Could we find more interesting and challenging resources for children to explore indoors that would develop their skills and abilities?
For further information
For further support to reflect on active play practices at your service, download the Reflecting on Active Play poster or contact the Munch & Move® program at Southern NSW Local Health District. You can also join our Munch & Move® mailing list, to receive information about programs, tips and ideas to support your Service.